There are only two private entities in the U.S. authorized by the U.S. Department of State to issue an IDP. They are AAA and the National Automobile Club. As Korea is a member of the Geneva Conventions, it’s acceptable to drive for 1 year from the date of entry with an international driving permit issued from other members of the Geneva Convention.
As Korea is a member of the Geneva Conventions, it’s acceptable to drive for 1 year from the date of entry with an international driving permit issued from other members of the Geneva Convention. It is possible to drive in Korea, using an international driving permit issued by member countries of the Geneva & Vienna Conventions
Note: IDP does NOT function as a legal drivers license within the United States. Also, an IDP is NOT the same thing as a Korean Driver’s License. In order to obtain a Drivers License in Korea, you will need to consult dl.koroad.or.kr
Please note that you must take a written exam before you can obtain a Korean driver’s license except for those who hold driver’s licenses that were issued by a State that has a reciprocity agreement with Korea; namely Alabama, Florida, Iowa, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Texas, Virginia, Washington, DC., and West Virginia. This written exam can be provided in English.
What you will need (US Applicants)
Attention: Effective June 1, 2016, the AAA IDP rate increased to $20 USD.
- AAA In-person Applicants
- $15USD –
- A valid U.S. driver’s license.
- Two original passport pictures (also available at AAA branch offices).
- Download and fill out an application, and bring it to your nearest AAA office
- AAA Mail Applicants
- Send to nearest AAA office.
- If desired, include additional U.S. funds for expedited return mail service.
- A photocopy of both sides of your driver’s license
- $15USD permit fee
- Two original passport pictures each signed on the back
- Your completed IDP application form
- National Automobile Club
- International Driving Permit Application
- Enclose two (2) original color passport photos
- Signed clear photocopy of the front and back of your U.S. driver’s license
- Mail everything together to:
- The National Automobile Club
373 Vintage Park Drive, Suite E
Foster City, CA 94404
Ad astra per aspera,
Disclaimer: The review provided in this post should not be interpreted as an endorsement of the mentioned service(s). No compensation was provided in exchange for the review of these service(s). Rules and regulations established by the entities issuing IDPs are subject to change.